Thursday, December 30, 2010

Strep Throat - Remedies



I've had a severe sore throat for three days now. I went to the Doctor (Dr. Tu) on day 2 and put me on anti-biotics and ibuprofen after seeing and sampling my red sore throat. It's been very painful when I go to swallow but tonight I feel much better knowing I got runny nose and sneezing to go along with it.

Yesterday, I gargled salt water every hour. It was horribly uncomfortable I could hardly stand it every time I went to swallow it was painful. My mouth would accumulate water because I didn't want to swallow and I was spitting in a cup. I did find that using a hot water compress on my face neck made the rest of me feel great and detracted my focus on the throat.

Also I got up and played the piano and found that giving myself something to do, surprisingly took my mind off the entire problem. My phone line has been down so it was not possible to search Strep Throat or any kind of throat remedies. The old fashion dictionary didn't give me much information either. But after talking to a few people, I was given a lot of different advice:

1) Gargling salt water (hot)
2) Throat lozenges
3) Drinking a lot of water
4) Chloraseptic Antiseptic spray
5) Drink hot tea and lemon juice
6) Musinex

I'm not sure if the ibuprofen with the antibiotic medicine really made a difference but I've been taking that too. It's really cold out here and in this weather getting sick definitely not helping me get to the Rose Parade this year.